Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Star Princess Loreto Port of Call

The second stop on our ten day Mexico cruise was Loreto. This port, like Cabo, requires that you board a tender boat to take you into the port. We have not been to Loreto before and were pleasantly surprised at the quiet beauty of this little town. It is not the bustling circus of activity we found in Cabo. Apparently this town has not been "discovered" by the mass of tourists. Kind of hope it stays small. As our tender drops us a fleet of cabs await us but we just hoof it along the shore. Directly to the right of the entrance to the port is an uncrowded beach where two lovely ladies relaxed in the sun. This photo could be a marketing tool to attract the young crowd to Loreto. Beautiful scenery in Loreto! Avril reminds me that I have shoes older than these lovely ladies. I appreciate everything beautiful!
Beach Port of Loreto

A short distance away is the La Mision Hotel where I grabbed some photos of their scenic grounds. They have a bar and restaurant with a great looking menu. I'm told they cater to the eco-tourists that flock to this area. I think it would be a great place for a wedding party.
La Mision Hotel Loreto Mexico
We followed the crowd from the ship to an avenue with shops and restaurants where we succumbed to a souvenir wooden bowl. I believe it was Avenida Miguel Hidalgo.  A quick stop at the church to say thanks for our blessings.
Loreto Mexico
Loreto Mexico

After a bunch of walking I decided to cab it back to the port.The cost of the ride $5! Between my horrible Spanish and the cabbies pretty good English I learn that a lot of American retirees are buying property here because the dollar goes a lot further. We will keep that in our memory banks. Back at the port we snapped a few final pictures. Avril is an avid bird watcher and wanders away from me in search of birds. She spotted a blue footed booby and exclaims such. She startles an elderly Chinese man as she points at the bird and says booby! He appears mortified and tries to put distance away from her. Crazy women and booby!  We laughed about this the rest of the day. We headed back to ship and just before sunset we went up top for photo ops. The last tender boat is returning with the crew from shore. The wind has picked up the swell and the boat rises to the occasion.
Star Princess Tender Loreto Mexico
Sunset Loreto Mexico
It was wine o'clock! Then we ate dinner.
Dinner Star Princess
Next up La Paz!

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

I'll remember that name if I ever get to go to Mexico. Looks ideal!

Greg said...

Zoomie- We got to get you guys on a cruise ship. They had 10 day Mexico trips from SF as low as $500 a person this year.

Chilebrown said...

I am surprised Avril let you take that shot. Is eco-tourist code for hipster? You got me on the dessert shot again.

Greg said...

Chilebrown- She was busy taking her own pictures :) I think eco-tourist is more like tree hugger. The desserts are hard to refuse.