Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Daily Bread

 There is nothing more satisfying to me than bread. I like to keep different kinds of bread on hand for different occasions. We are down to two in the house so we freeze the bread so it won't go bad. The best practice we have found is to slice the bread product when fresh and then separating the needed portion for a meal. This process also works for bagels and cakes. I call these frozen assets. Recently I purchased some rustic bread and challenged myself to use it in  unique ways.
Daily Bread
For breakfast I spread ricotta cheese then layered some fresh white nectarines. A drizzle of honey and walnuts finished the dish. Another breakfast saw a topping of butter and Knot's Berry Farm Raspberry Jam. Lunch one day consisted of bread and ricotta with prosciutto, snipped chives and cracked black pepper. At cocktail hour I created crostini with mozzarella, tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic reduction. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Zoomie said...

Those all sound delicious! Good idea to slice the bread and freeze it, too - I have had many loaves go stale while we two tried to finish them up. Brilliant!

Greg said...

Zoomie- Thanks! It seems like the more rustic the bread the longer it keeps. I have never had much luck with "air bread"

Chilebrown said...

The next step is to bake these breads yourself and freeze them. Bread baking smells so good.

Greg said...

Chilebrown- Bread is on my list of things to do. I want to wait until the weather cools a bit.